Friday, February 27, 2009

My Sport Idol


My sport idol is Kajsa Bergqvist. For over ten years, starting in 1997, she was a consistent fixture at the top of world high jumping. Naturally gifted, she grew up competing in the array of track and field events. In fact, until age 18, she was competing in the heptathlon. As a high jumper, she competed and was a medalist at various top-level meets, including the European Championships, the World Championships, and the Olympic Games.


Her career highlight was when she came back from a potentially career ending achilles injury to set the indoor World Record for women’s high jump, at 2.08m in 2006! While I had always enjoyed watching Kajsa jump and compete, this comeback was a true test of character and talent and I admired her for that. In January 2008, she announced that she would retire from high jumping. She had found her life entering a “new phase,” ready to move forward with life outside athletics.


It was through Kajsa's website that I learned of one of my favourite quotations: Dream! But don’t forget to live, and then maybe you’ll find yourself living your dream! From this I learned that we need to have passion at all times in our lives and embrace every moment, both on and off the sport field!

Your Athlete,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment