Sunday, February 1, 2009

Answering the Caterpillar and my Coach

Thinking about the classic Alice in Wonderland, I am reminded of the Caterpillar’s question, "Who are YOU?" Alice replied, rather shyly, "I--I hardly know, sir, just at present--at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

Just as Alice sensed herself changing, I have looked back over the past three years and asked myself how I had changed. This came about when Bart asked me, who I saw when I looked in the mirror. And after some time to think, I had this answer for him:

I recently finished reading the novel, for JOSHUA, where the author comments, "getting anywhere means you have to make a journey. But on this journey, to find where you belong, you really only have to travel one direction – you have to travel inside yourself, not down long, narrow roads."

I came to Holland three years ago now because of the opportunity I saw to get a fresh start. I still had a strong passion to be a top athlete, but I needed to start over; the paths I had been down had not taken me where I wanted to go. Therefore, I showed up in Holland with the courage to take the risk, but lacking the knowledge of what it really meant to do it. I thought I did. However, I still only learnt what it meant in my head. I still only committed this to thought and not to action.

That first year was all about learning technique, theory, patience. I realized that despite my years in the sport, I still had so much to learn. The second year was about testing my commitment, and my passion. The obvious struggle over various injuries was not always about the physical recovery. The mental recovery was sometimes the harder part. It was important for me to look at the reasons why I was going through these various struggles and to know it was something I wanted.

Year three was about owning my dream, my goals and my journey. I remember training one afternoon with Bart and discussing how suddenly I truly knew what I wanted, that my goals were now mine and not that of my former coach or my dad's, but mine.

Since then, I am beginning to appreciate what I have achieved with my life and for surviving all I had put myself through. The novel talks about how "as human beings we want to be rewarded with a Technicolor dream instead of a black-and-white reality – it's about being grateful for what I have and not resentful, angry, or hurt over what I don't have." I do this too much – look forwards too often and miss the present moment.

The author writes, at the end of his journey, “you can never be less than who you were created to be. You never have to qualify. You never have to prove yourself. You just have to be.”

So to answer the Caterpillar and my coach, I would say I am someone who has spend a long three years learning who she is and what she wants. I am ready to be Susan, someone with passion, a strong work ethic, and a dream!

Your Athlete,
Susan

8 comments:

  1. Susan, you picked a perfect reference for Queen Mary.We are preparing to present "Alice in Wonderland" as our annual school production in May - I'm also thinking that your question might be a great writing prompt for some of our intermediate students - who are you, really?

    There was an exercise in the Star a year or so ago, where people had to write their memoir in 6 words. Mine would say: changing the world:lovingly,deeply,irrevocably. Teaching helps me do that.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Grade 5's in Ms. Alton's class enjoyed watching the videos today. Here are some of their answers to the question "Who are you?":

    Ashley: active, friendly and giving
    Cole: active, smart and funny
    Laurence: hard-working, loving and deep
    Shelby: kind, funny and sarcastic
    Oliver: friendly, honest and hard-working
    Sarah: imaginative (she could only think of 1 :))
    Sophia: honest, trustworthy and kind
    Karen: dramatic, creative and intelligent
    Michael: kind, funny and honest
    Mayve: kind, helpful and hard-working
    Erika: creative, hard-working and kind
    Angelica: kind
    Dillan: random, funny and respectful when I want to be
    Will: friendly, honest and funny
    Emma: big-hearted
    Keagan: daring, emotional, caring
    Cam: funny, smart and kind

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan:
    We had a great connection this morning. Lauryn, in Grade 7, who is playing the caterpillar in our production, was thrilled to see that you were quoting her in your blog. Then, she said "oh, madame, I have a great connection! When I ask the question to Alice, in the play, I'm asking Susan" (the name of the girl who's playing Alice. I told her I would share that with you.

    And Zaria (in Grade 8), who's standing here as I type this, says "hi".
    Madame Noble
    (aka Lisa)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that ... so crazy that I chose Alice in Wonderland to quote! It was meant to be ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Susan,
    I wanted to introduce myself. I am Susan Matthews, Principal at the school. I too am alumni of Queen Mary and am excited to be here.
    This venture of yours is quite exciting and Deb has done a great job in promoting you. The kids are so excited about what you are doing and the fact that a person from Peterborough and this school can go an be such a great athlete.
    We appreciate your enthusiasm for the kids and the sport.
    Susan Matthews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Susan Matthews. Great to "meet" you! I feel fortunate to have this opportunity and I am happy to play a small role to inspire the kids to follow their dreams :>
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Susan,

    It's great to read your blog, because I realise even more then I already did, how passionate you are about your sport and what a wonderfull person you are.

    I also realise now that indeed you've changed a lot since you've been here. And I'm happy for you, because I've always believed that you should do those things that you believe in!

    Lot's of love from everyone over here (de Sluisstraatbende ;-)))

    ReplyDelete