Monday, January 5, 2009

Welcome and Hello!

Determining what kind of person you want to become and what you hope to achieve along the way begins with setting goals and then learning the steps you need to take to achieve those goals. Because some goals will be more difficult to achieve than others it is important not to make excuses or to stop trying. To maintain focus it is important to know there is someone that asks, what do you dream about, what do you aspire to, and to whom do you aspire to be like?


I believe that athletes can serve as role models in our community to promote not only a healthy lifestyle, but also to teach the importance of dedication and follow through. We must not forget the hard work, the time and passion that translate into the dedication that precedes the moment an athlete’s abilities look easy and natural to an outsider.


My name is Susan Kelly Coltman. I am a heptathlete and a member of the Canadian National Athletics Team. The heptathlon is a two-day track and field event, made up of seven events: 100m hurdles, high jump, shot put, 200m, long jump, javelin, 800m.


I have been training and competing in track and field from the age of nine. I began through involvement with my elementary school, progressed to training with a local club, attended Princeton University in the United States, and currently train full time with a personal trainer in the Netherlands.


I am the daughter of Claire and Floyd Coltman and I am Aboriginal, a proud member of the Nuxalk Nation in Bella Coola, BC. I grew up in Peterborough, Ontario. I attended Queen Mary from JK through grade 8 (my name stands on the Honor Roll for the class of 1995). This is something we have in common a similar starting place.


As we progress in our unique friendship, I hope to fill in the gap from my days at Queen Mary to life as a full-time top-level athlete. I will share with you the choices I have made, and both the struggles and the victories I experience as I progress this year in pursuit of qualifying for the World Championships in Athletics to be held this August in Berlin, Germany.


I will introduce you to some of the many people in my life who have helped me achieve my goals; the people who have helped shape my life.


To start, an important person is my coach, Bart Bennema. We met and formed a great working relationship as coach and athlete about 3 ½ years ago. He really respects athletes. He knows what it takes because he was an athlete himself. He is simply one of those people who somehow knows how to talk to athletes, has tremendous patience, and has been there as I have grown into the athlete I am today.


I welcome questions and comments. To paraphrase the words from a classic film, let this be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.


Your Athlete and new Friend,


Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment