Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Patience, Young Jedi

Looking over my training schedule you will notice the repeat of knee work and you might ask, Susan what does that entail? The short answer I would give you would be knee work represents my test of patience.

The long answer is as follows. In the summer of 2007 I sustained an injury to my left knee during a high jump training session; it was not until March 2008 that I was aware of the damage from that one session. I was struggling with what I thought was jumper’s knee that would not subside after months of physiotherapy and finally went to a sports doctor for an ultrasound of the tendon.

I met with Dr. Zwerver, in the Netherlands, who, after hearing my story of how much I was training and what I felt in terms of pain, thought we were looking for something small. Then the ultrasound revealed an 11.3mm tear – half my tendon. What a shock for my coach, the doctor and me. In addition, obviously, we were further aware of my high level of pain tolerance!

With the help of Marilou Lamay, Athletics Canada medical coordinator, this past October 2008 I was then in the hands of Dr. Galea in Canada to seek treatment. I endured a very very very painful platelet rich plasma and fat injection treatment – a series of three weekly injections that left me unable to walk, run, bike or any form of movement life sustaining to an athlete!

Thankfully that pain was short lived! By November 2008 I was working with Kevin Hickey in Peterborough to learn a series of eccentric exercises to strengthen the tendon and build strength in my core to have a solid base for training. (read: knee work)

Just as with any goal you have, there will be setbacks. I have had many setbacks, many challenges to overcome, lots of injuries, and maybe some people not believing in me as much as I believe in myself.

It is important to keep my goals set, to always believe in myself, and to look at the reasons why I go through these struggles, to look at the results that will come. I think that is the only way through it, to go gradually and continually believing in yourself the whole way. In addition, it is helpful to surround yourself with positive people who listen and lend advice when needed.

So for me, it is all about a little knee TLC for now and maintaining focus on my goals. That is the key to everything when you are down.

Your Athlete,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment