Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Power to Heal

I got to thinking today about the body’s power to heal. I thought about the laundry list of injuries I have sustained in my career as an athlete and I think, wow! As athletes we ask so much of our bodies and it is amazing to think of our perseverance.

I have just spent the greater part of my day either on a train and waiting on a train. And why was that? That was because I had to travel to Leiden, in the south of Holland for a physiotherapy appointment. Now yes they do have quality physiotherapist here in Papendal, but I want the best and that is Erik van Putten for me.

We all know that a part of sport is injury. Due to all the eccentric work I have been focused on the past couple months, my left quad muscle has sent me a message – it needs a little rest! During a power lifting session I recently strained this muscle. However, no worries, we will adjust the training a little this week to allow for some rest and by next week this will be behind us.

Otherwise, I am happy to say that training is going well. My coach even commented the other day that he was pleased that we are off to such a great start!

For amusement, I will share a list of the major injuries from the past three years:
-strained quad
-compressed bones in right wrist
-strained left hamstring
-tear in left hamstring
-membrane detachment of right tibia
-sprained left ankle
-jammed/tilted pelvis
-tear in left patella tendon
In the photo slide show, you will notice the array of taping … this is why!

We all invest time, emotion and energy into creating a perfect plan, and when something interferes with our hard work it is easy to get discouraged. Just remember that worthwhile goals seldom come easy. When disruption happens, it helps to think of the Japanese proverb, “Fall seven times. Stand up eight.”

Your Athlete,
Susan

1 comment: