Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ready, Set, Go!

If you want to achieve a very challenging goal, you have to have a reason for doing it, you really have to want to do it, you have to persevere through a series of obstacles, you have to keep in mind why you are doing all this and why it is important in your life.

I have a goal: to achieve 6000+ points in the heptathlon and qualify for the 2009 World Championships in Athletics. I have been persistent in training through the winter months, focused on the recovery and re-strengthening of my patella tendon. I have taken some rest at home to reset my focus. After that, I resumed training, began to put the technical aspects of the events in order, and was off to Tenerife, for a training camp. We peaked in Tenerife, as planned and now we are back in Holland focused mainly on rest, but also starting with competitions.

My first competition has come and gone. I was at a small evening competition to throw the shot put, gain an idea of both where my strengths are with my technique and know if my mental focus was in control. This competition for me is viewed more or less as a training session. We hoped for a solid result, but did not expect a huge personal record. That would have been nice to start a season, but alas not my style! Haha

Ok, that is a joke! Thing is I rarely open a season in a stunning style. I struggle. I come off a long stretch of training, training, training, and I resume competition after some nine months since the last competition of 2008. I make many of the same mistakes; I focus too much on the result and try to control too many cues at the same time in competition. I am just too eager out of the gates, you could say.

Therefore, I need to regain some control. Bart and I know that I am better at doing this during a heptathlon, compared with an open competition for one event, but still this is something I need to improve.

My first result of the season is 13.29m in the shot put. Looking for the positives in negatives, we will move forward to the next competition that will be this coming Friday. I will compete in the 100m Hurdles and the long jump. I need to stay relaxed, and focus on just one or two cues. I have to remember most importantly to enjoy the competition, to stay positive, enjoy every movement, and know that these are the moments I prepare for.

Lou Holtz once said, “Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” With a more positive and relaxed attitude, I will try go into the competition Friday and enjoy myself. I will keep in mind my 350 amazing supporters at Queen Mary and persevere. Because at the end of the line lies greatness, and to get there, we need to remember to persevere through tough times, constantly train, and enjoy the pursuit of excellence!

On to Friday, wish me luck!

Your Athlete,
Susan

7 comments:

  1. Good Luck Susan!
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you show some pictures of your competition?
    Where is you next meet?
    How do you handle the stress of competition?
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying again to post a comment on our end - please excuse the technical difficulties!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Susan:
    Good luck at your competition. Amy says to eat lots of bananas, but she's not sure why. Rorey says if you eat too many, you might get sick. Stay calm at your competition - good advice from Wil. Our class raised lots of money for you during wacky hair day. We had 100% participation. We can't wait to hear your results when you get back!

    From Mrs Hope's Grade 2-3 class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks :> I'll keep in mind the bananas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan,
    I am just wishing you do your best you should eat lot's of fruits and veggies.
    I hope you do well best of luck.
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Results:
    100mH - 14.10
    Long Jump - 5.88m ... two jumps were fouls, and around 6m

    Overall, we're satisfied with the results and looking forward to Desenzano!

    ReplyDelete