Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Don't Forget Your Passport

One of my favourite aspects of sport has always been the travel. Unfortunately, it is not always as glamorous as it sounds to travel the world. I have been to a handful of exciting cities/countries, but then my adventure and sightseeing is limited to the hotel, track and whatever is in between! On occasion I find extra time and energy to explore my surroundings and learn a little something about the corner of the world in which I happen to be.

In just over a week, my coach, my training mates, and I will make our way to Tenerife, a Spanish island, in the Canary Islands off the coast of Africa. We will enjoy 11 days of training in the sun and weather in the area of 25 degrees Celsius. After travel and rest days, I will have 15 training sessions and begin to technically attack my events and prepare for competitions.

When we return to Holland, I will then start with a few small evening competitions and test my hurdles, shot put, long jump, and 200m. The other events, high jump, javelin and 800m are solid for the heptathlon out of training.

From there, I will make my way to the north of Italy, to Desenzano del Garda. Here I will open my heptathlon season and compete at the 22nd meeting of Multistars. The date of the competition is May 09-10, 2009. With the confidence that training has been going well, I hope to surpass the 6000point milestone for the heptathlon.

This goal will serve to help me get one-step closer to qualifying for the World Championships, but in addition, when I am over 6000points I have been extended a invitation to compete in the prestigious Götzis Hypo Meeting, at the end of May in Götzis, Austria. (Plan B will be to attend a competition at this time in Arles, France).

Travel, travel travel, throughout Europe, and then back across the ocean to Canada. I will return to Canada in mid-June and focus on the Canadian National Track and Field Championships, held in Toronto, Ontario, and qualification for the World Championships, which will send me back across the ocean to Europe, to compete in Berlin, Germany!

Phew, lots to see and do ... passport in hand and off I go! Wish me luck!

Your Athlete,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment